"Portara": Naxos' trademark: Portara can be seen from afar as ships approach the island of Naxos, standing on the northern side of the port. This monument is a gigantic gate, which remains from a temple that was dedicated to Apollo. It was built during the 6th century B.C, when Naxos used to be a commercial and cultural centre.
The castle: An impressive monument which was built during the long Venetian rule (1204-1537); it is located on a hill which is the natural acropolis of Hora. A medieval town in the heart of the Aegean still in its original form, inhabited continuously since 1207. The external walls of the peripheral houses shape the wall of the Castle, which has only three entrance gates.
Kouros (Flerio): At Flerio, near the village of Melanes, there is a half finished male statue, belonging to the 7th century B.C., 6.4 metres tall, which was found in an olive grove.
Kouros (Apollonas): Near the village Apollonas and near to the entrance of an ancient mine, there is a half finished "Kouros" (male statue) lying on the ground, which has never been moved from this spot. The statue is 10.45 metres high and is dated at the beginning of the 6th century B.C.